Tuesday, June 26, 2007

The Big Easy: Peasy Japanesey


The Big Easy is one of those movies that people have been telling me to see for years and I can see why. Its got a pair of great early performances by Dennis Quaid and Ellen Barkin as well as some good supporting work from Ned Beatty and John Goodman. It's even got a cameo by Jim Garrison who you may remember as the character played by Kevin Costner in JFK or, if you're really old, the overzealous District Attorney of Orleans Parish from, uh, life.

That being said, I'm not sure how much I actually liked it. There were some great parts and the love scenes between Barkin and Quaid were pretty hot but I was hoping that it would be more of a neo-Noir, like Body Heat. Also, I could have done without the mega-happy ending. It seemed really gratuitous.

As a side note, I'm sure there are plenty of reasons to like Dennis Quaid (like, his talent) but for me his appeal boils down to one thing, he's got the Calvin Smile. It is a rare condition where one's smile forms an upside-down equilateral triangle. I had a roommate who suffered from it and it's one of the most goodwill inducing things I've ever seen. Seriously, how can you not love the little scamp?


According to IMDb: The production company was aided greatly in its ability to film in and around New Orleans by the state's Film Commission. Shortly after this film (which is about political corruption) premiered, several members of the Film Commission were indicted in a kickback scandal.

Awesome.

No comments: